[Conferences] Make me speak Spanish

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Tue Jun 16 01:37:15 CEST 2015

I am planning to attend YAPC::EU in Granada this year and I am
soliciting suggestions for things to do in the *pre*-conference period,
say, from Sat Aug 22 to Tue Sep 01.

But there's a catch:  I do not want to speak English during this period.
  I want to speak Spanish.

I know from past IT events in Europe that >= 99% of the presentations
and discussions at the conference itself will be in English.

I also know that I would have no difficulty if I were to simply play the
role of Anglophone Tourist in the pre-conference period.  I don't want
that.  My Spanish is good enough for me to survive in a Spanish-speaking
country without a dictionary, but since I have never been to Spain
before, I want to use this as an opportunity to really hone my Spanish
chops.

 From this I infer that I should try to find some structured activity to
engage in that will force me to speak a lot of Spanish all day long.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan