[Conferences] What to do in Madrid on a 5 hour layover?

Diego Kuperman diego at kuperman.com.ar
Wed Aug 19 16:42:32 CEST 2015

Hi Gabor,

On 15/08/15 18:33, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on my way to YAPC::EU  I'll be at the Madrid airport from 10:40-16:05
> on 29th
> while waiting for my connection to Granada.
>
> Anyone familiar with that airport and with Madrid?
> What can be done during this time?
> Can I get in the city and back on time?
> (I've never been to Madrid.)

If you like to walk and you support well dry-hot-weather, you can take
the subway from the airport to Nuevos ministerios and walk from there
down to chueca, then to sol, plaza mayor, la latina and take back the
subway from where you end up to combine to the airport line in Nuevos
ministerios again.

If you are not so inclined to walk and/or support that sun bath, you can
connect in Nuevos ministerios and go straight to callao or sol to do a
short walk around there, see plaza mayor and surroundings or you can go
to tirso de molina, lavapies or atocha to check the reina sofia museum.
You need much more time to visit "el prado" museum.

Anyway, Madrid is a nice place to walk around a few hours and airport
subway station make it easy for your timeframe but be adviced that
Barajas Airport is quite large and it takes around 20' to/from the S4
terminal (if your flights are there).

Enjoy it!
-dk